[Portfolio] Duplication of Portfolios

Jeff Mitchell jmitch at vt.edu
Mon Oct 7 13:03:42 PDT 2013

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the "Duplicate" function in the Actions menu for Portfolios in Sakai 2.9.1. When I try to duplicate a portfolio, any user form data gets transferred to the new copy. This is exactly what I would expect to happen.

What is unexpected, however, is that any changes that I make to the form data in the copied portfolio is then reflected in the original portfolio, and vice versa. It looks like the same reference to the record in the CONTENT_RESOURCE table is being used for both portfolios. I would have expected that a new copy of the data would have been created. In that case, changes to the data in one portfolio would not affect the other.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior and if so, is their a good reason for doing it this way?

Steps To Reproduce:

1. Click on the Portfolios tool.
2. Locate a portfolio containing a form that has existing user data.
3. Click "Actions" and then "Duplicate".
4. Make a change to the form data in the copy (or vice versa) and it will also be reflected in the original.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Mitchell
Lead Web Development Software Engineer
Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS)
2230B Torgersen Hall, Virginia Tech
540-231-3957
jmitch at vt.edu