[Portfolio] Word documents vs. Forms in Portfolios

Eric Hanson Eric.Hanson at usuhs.mil
Thu Jul 7 06:32:36 PDT 2011

Good morning,

The Uniformed Services University is launching into portfolio use for medical students starting on campus this Fall.

Our courses and clerkships have a number of assignments and forms that they now use and they wish students to complete and submit those in OSP.

A fundamental question we have is the pros and cons of developing the XML-based forms and associated code versus simply having the students upload the assignment or document through assignments or the portfoliio.

What are the drawbacks of primarily using word documents to populate the matrix?  Are there challenges for feedback or evaluation?  What about pulling those items into a portfolio view?

Thanks, I have a feeling I will be on here a great deal over the next month.

Eric Hanson

Eric E. Hanson, MBA
Chief Knowledge Officer
Office of the CIO
A2027
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD 20814
(301) 295-3352
eric.hanson at usuhs.mil