[Portfolio] Form validation question

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Tue Jan 25 09:42:49 PST 2011

We have actually done exactly this (including an "other" option for write-ins). The question is...

Dave, do you need to update the valid set of options so that content stays in sync? Or is the drop-down mostly about an appropriate/convenient set of options at creation/editing time?

On the technical side, the upshot is this:

All of the forms of a given type should conform to their schema. If, for example, the field is required and an option that has been used is removed/changed, there would then be invalid forms (which is actually checked and disallowed). Adding options is okay. On the other hand, you can (as Sean suggests) use a text field that isn't validated and support it with a select box (with JavaScript). While not technically being validated, the nominal case is that the user will pick from the list and keep your data clean (enough).

Thanks,
-Noah