[Portfolio] Portfolio for K12

Philip Fedchin philip at smolny.org
Wed Nov 10 13:22:18 PST 2010

Erica,

Thank you for your reaction!

My understanding of the ways portfolio may be used is based our experience with Sakai and available materials (mostly from openedpractices site) - I have just uploaded UROP Student Matrix and Portfolio as well as AAC&U Essential Outcomes Matrix to our Sakai 2.7 QA server for testing and looking as exemples.

So there are two obvious ways to use:

1) to create students' individual portfolio to guide them through certain process (from school curriculum to specific project) and to produce some kind of 'publication';
2) to create institutional matrixes to receive data and feedback on the substantial outcomes of such processes;

I am wandering whether there are ways for portfolio to be used to give a needed information to parents, form-masters, school principals about current status of the student (may be with the help of goal management functionality?)

My experience is related mostly with the university and I know that the functionality mentioned would appear through Student Information System but I am not sure how it is done at schools.

At our college we are looking forward to first public release of Kuali Student to try to localize it (and, certainly, to use in integration with Sakai), but I am not sure that such an approach would be applicable at K12 level.

Sorry if my perception is too naive.

With best wishes,
Philip