[Portfolio] Is there a better way to render subforms?

Sean Keesler sean.keesler at threecanoes.com
Fri Jan 22 18:01:14 PST 2010

I doubt I am the only one to notice that rendering a form that has a
complex element in it (ie: contact info that has a first name, last
name, address, city state & zip fields) results in a pretty lame UX.

When your schema has a single, repeatable field, the input element is
repeated with the same name.

I suppose we could use a little JavaScript in a renderer to replicate
a block of HTML form inputs in a fieldset for a complex element in a
XSD.
It would be great if there were some convention for naming the
"sub-elements" of a complex field to accomplish a similar
effect....something like:

"contactInfo_1_firstName"
"contactInfo_1_lastName"
"contactInfo_1_address"
"contactInfo_1_city"
"contactInfo_1_state"
"contactInfo_1_zip"

and then:

"contactInfo_2_firstName"
"contactInfo_2_lastName"
"contactInfo_2_address"
"contactInfo_2_city"
"contactInfo_2_state"
"contactInfo_1_zip"

Has anyone given something like that any thought?

Sean Keesler
130 Academy Street
Manlius, New York 13104 USA
315-663-7756