[Portfolio] iRubric for Sakai

Ward, Lynn E. leward at iupui.edu
Wed Jan 20 06:24:08 PST 2010

Yes, the IU School of Education in Bloomington contracted with RCampus to develop an integration with the Sakai gradebook.  The iRubric application allows you to create and share clickable analytic rubrics with weighted criteria.  The Sakai integration makes it possible to associate a specific rubric with a gradebook item.  From there, you can open a copy of the rubric for each student and click the appropriate level (with description) for each criterion.  This results in a total score that is fed to the gradebook item for that student.  I've been impressed with what I've seen of the product thus far and the main developer at RCampus (it's a small shop and I believe he also owns the company) has been very accommodating.  I know that he has developed a bunch of custom reports for our SoE.  I'd like to see a something like this in Sakai that can be used in conjunction with any work that is graded or evaluated (assignments, forums, portfolios, etc.).  I don't know whether the iRubric developer plans to take the integration any further at this point.  In the long term, I think we'd be better off with a native Sakai tool for creating and sharing rubrics.  As Sean and others have demonstrated, it's possible to create a clickable rubric in OSP using a custom renderer.  But we really need a friendlier solution-one that allows faculty to create rubrics and apply rubrics without the assistance of a developer.

Lynn

Lynn Ward, Principal Systems Analyst, Academic and Faculty Services
University Information Technology Services<http://uits.iu.edu/>
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Information Technology and Communications Complex (IT 218R)
535 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202