[Portfolio] Reporting Out > Sakai T&L Learning Capabilities Effort

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Thu Jan 7 09:21:52 PST 2010

Folks,

The Sakai Teaching and Learning group met yesterday for our first call of
the year.  The primary focus of our call was to begin the planning process
for the Virtual Working Session (now scheduled for February 4th and 5th)
we've been discussing that will focus on moving the Learning Capabilities
documentation process we've been engaged in around Sakai 3 "to the next
level".  Details, background and a place to register for the Virtual
Session can be found in Confluence (
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Virtual+Working+Session+planning+page
).

Over the next week the group will be working to define/refine the "Themes"
and "Activity Workflows" that have been used to date in the Learning
Capabilities Google spreadsheet.  Since these developed rather organically
over time we want to make sure we have clear definitions for them and that
we add any (or consolidate) if needed.  We also want to identify what we
are calling "Fundamental" Themes which cut across workflows and which
define fundamental learning capabilities that may be used a large range of
teaching contexts.  Finally, we will be connecting these Themes to
instructional best practices and research-based teaching methodologies
(e.g. Seven Principles of Good Undergraduate Education).

This pre-planning activity will be documented on Confluence at:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=68158536
(this is also linked off the Virtual Session Planning page).  All are
welcome to add to this effort or just "watch" it.  A few core folks will
be starting things off this week.  Once we have made some progress we will
be reporting that out to the larger community.

If you have questions, comments, concerns please post them to the list for
a broader discussion.

Josh

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron