[Portfolio] I am researching a variety of contrib tools for suitability in providing sequencing and programmed instruction

Nate Angell nate.angell at rsmart.com
Tue Apr 6 10:53:13 PDT 2010

Ed:

I'm not sure if anyone else has answered your queries, but I will do my best in-line below. I believe the answers to your questions are in fact "yes."

On Apr 5, 2010, at 10:12 PM, Ed Smiley wrote:

> I am currently researching a variety of contrib tools for their
> flexibility and suitability in providing sequencing and programmed
> instruction facilities, and I have a few questions concerning the
> Portfolio Tool.
>
> 1. Is it possible to link assessments and general resources to each
> node of progress in Portfolio Tool?  What resources are
> supported?

The portfolio tool most often used to sequence progress is the Matrix Tool, which allows a custom matrix, often capturing learning goals/outcomes on one axis and levels of proficiency/benchmarks/etc on the other. Each cell in the matrix can have multiple attachments, including user work evidence/samples (in any digital file format allowed by the system administrators), user reflections, and assessments.

> 2. Does the Portfolio Tool support only allowing access to the
> modules in progressive sequence?  In other words, can you give access
> to the third module only after completing the second and so on?

The same Matrix Tool allows cells to be configured so they can depend on the the successful completion of prior cells in the sequence.

--
Nate Angell
Client Evangelist