[Portfolio] Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology

David Goodrum davidgoodrum at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 30 12:49:21 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

For those on today's teaching and learning Sakai call who were intrigued by the discussion around looking towards future trends (but also hoping we wouldn't get distracted by not focusing on core T&L needs), you might be interested in a very recent book I just heard about this afternoon (how timely!) by a couple of well respected folks in the field of cognitive science:

Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America by Allan Collins and Richard Halverson

Allan Collins, who's coming to give a talk at Indiana University (that's how I got wind of this), has colaborated with John Seely Brown in the past and is a professor of
education and social policy at Northwestern University. He is a member of the National Academy of Educationand the American Educational
Research Association, a fellow of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence,
and served as a founding editor of the journal Cognitive Science and as first
chair of the Cognitive Science Society. He currently serves
on the editorial boards for Cognition and Instruction and the Journal of the
Learning Sciences. He is best known in psychology for his work on semantic
memory and mental models; in artificial intelligence for his work on plausible
reasoning and intelligent tutoring systems; and in education for his work on
inquiry teaching, cognitive apprenticeship, situated learning, epistemic games
and systemic validity in educational testing. From 1991 to 1994 he was
co-director of the US Department of Education's Center for Technology in
Education centered at Bank Street College of Education.

The Amazon blurb (the paperback version is about $16) says:

The digital revolution has hit education, with more and more classrooms plugged into the whole wired world. But are schools making the most of new technologies? Are they tapping into the learning potential of today s Firefox/Facebook/cell phone generation? Have schools fallen through the crack of the digital divide? In Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology, Allan Collins and Richard Halverson argue that the knowledge revolution has transformed our jobs, our homes, our lives, and therefore must also transform our schools. Much like after the school-reform movement of the industrial revolution, our society is again poised at the edge of radical change. To keep pace with a globalized technological culture, we must rethink how we educate the next generation or America will be left behind. This groundbreaking book offers a vision for the future of American education that goes well beyond the walls of the classroom to include online social networks,
 distance learning with anytime, anywhere access, digital home schooling models, video-game learning environments, and more.

Regards - David

David Goodrum
Indiana University