[Portfolio] OSP personas

Sean Keesler sean.keesler at threecanoes.com
Tue Sep 29 10:42:23 PDT 2009

There was some discussion back in 2007:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/Usage+Scenarios+and+Personas
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/Personas+-+Portfolio-specific

Interestingly, our current method for describing a new feature or
enhancement doesn't mention personas, but describes actors and
stakeholders (classic use case jargon).
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/OSP+Procedure+for+Feature+Requests
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/OSP+Feature+Template

I know that there are UX experts in the Sakai community who love the
idea of personas. I think we attempted to grapple with the concept and
that methodology when it was suggested, but we probably didn't have
any design experts that were committed to using them as the way we do
OSP design. That isn't to say that it's right or wrong, but probably
does point out an area where more resources, mentoring and training
would be greatly appreciated!

Another challenge is that so many people approach the OSP elephant
from different perspectives that we may have a hard time naming and
describing all of these personnas. We already ask new teams to do
quite a lot of up front work to get their contributions into the code.
If we asked them to also write personas for their perspective
audience, I am not sure that everyone could do that.

Sean Keesler
130 Academy Street
Manlius, New York 13104 USA
315-663-7756