[Portfolio] Sakai Teaching and Learning Report Out > Learning Capabilities Activity

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Mon Nov 16 15:10:45 PST 2009

Greetings everyone,

I wanted to take a minute to briefly update folks on the recently work
taking place in Sakai Teaching and Learning group (which now includes many
from the UX and OSP worlds as well) and also note a couple of milestones
that we've decided to target.

After a healthy discussion following the 10th International Sakai
Conference in Boston this past July concerning how we might contribute to
"instructional visioning" for Sakai 3, the group began an exercise started
by David Goodrum to "vision", in simple terms, the types of learning
capabilities we would like Sakai 3 to facilitate and support.

Over the past few weeks we have been documenting, from a user-centric
perspective, these learning capabilities in a Google Spreadsheet which is
now linked off the Teaching and Learning Confluence page (
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED) and discussing related
issues on our weekly calls.

===============
CALL TO ACTION
===============
We would welcome additional input from everyone and anyone in the
community so please feel free to add to the spreadsheet (it is public).
There are some basic guidelines as to what to enter in each column at the
top of the spreadsheet.  Just keep in mind that each capability should be
expressed as a user-centric goal in simple terms.  We're in a bit of a
"free-for-all" mode right now so it is OK to just add whatever you think
is appropriate.  If you have questions please feel free to post them to
our list.

=====================
FUTURE MILESTONES
=====================
We plan to continue to add to the Learning Capabilities spreadsheet for
the next two weeks and then pause to assess our work and determine next
steps.  To this end, we have invited Clay Fenlason to attend our December
2, 2009 Teaching and Learning call (12 Noon EST) to participate in a
debriefing exercise and provide additional input on how we might turn the
current information into something more useful for him and the Sakai 3
design effort.

We will be having the call this week but will use it just to check in and
discuss any questions about the work going on.  I'll also be posting some
reminders this week and next to encourage folks to continue to add to the
spreadsheet (yes, I'm the official bugger).

That's all folks....

Josh

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron