[Portfolio] Boston Sakai OSP Preconference Workshop Reminder

Sean Keesler sean at keesler.org
Mon Jun 22 12:47:33 PDT 2009

Friends,

We want to remind you that there is an OSP pre-conference workshop planned
for July 7 at Boston Sakai.

The workshop is open to all who register for Boston Sakai, but it would be
very helpful for planning purposes if we knew how many people were
interested in this event.

We also wanted to let attendees know how they can best prepare for this
workshop. The workshop actually consists of 2 sessions - morning and
afternoon:

Session 1:
The morning session focuses on the capabilities of the tools, how they work
together, and how you can use them to construct a portfolio experience for
your institution. Everything will be done through the Sakai interface, so no
additional coding skills are required.

Session 2:
The afternoon session focuses on building the XML components (Form
definitions and/or renders, Portfolio Layouts and Templates) that are used
to create customized experiences for your users. The audience for this
portion of the workshop will get the most out of this session if they have a
working knowledge of XML, XML Schema, XSL transformations and are familiar
with OxygenXML XML IDE or another similar application.

We will expect attendees for the afternoon session to have an instance of
Sakai on which they plan to work. This may be:
 -  one of the many free instances of Sakai available (*
http://tinyurl.com/trysakai*),
 -  a Sakai community QA instance
 -  an instance running on their own laptop
 -  an instance running at their institution

For the afternoon workshop, it would also be useful to have access to the
OxygenXML XML IDE or another similar application.

Keep in mind that time will be limited and that setting up your Sakai
environment account ahead of time in preparation for the workshop is highly
encouraged.

If you plan to attend (or send someone to attend) either or both of the
workshop sessions, please reply to this email so that we can estimate the
size of the class.
If you can, please provide:
 - the name of the planned attendee(s),
 - their role at your institution
 - which session(s) - morning and/or afternoon -  they will be attending
 - whether or not they have an instance of Sakai that they plan to use

Sean Keesler and Janice Smith
Three Canoes

Sean Keesler
130 Academy Street