[Portfolio] Backing up OSP

Marc Zaldivar mzaldiva at exchange.vt.edu
Mon Jun 15 11:10:11 PDT 2009

Sean,

Thanks for this ‹ it¹s a start and I needed something to cover my blank wall
anyway. :-)

Not much to report on how we ³fixed² it.  We had to reimport the matrices
from our backup systems, then superuser in as each user and reattach their
materials to the right matrix cells based on the preproduction system.
Manual fixing all the way.

We did look at a database fix, but with the unknowns our systems team wasn¹t
comfortable changing some things without knowing if we ³got it all,² so we
went with the easier, but painful, manual fix.

A lesson learned!

Next challenge: how do you get faculty to read those pretty red warnings
that say ³This is a permanent thing.  This isn¹t undoable.  It affects
everybody.  You don¹t really want to do this.  Back away and logoff now.²
:-0

MZ