[Portfolio] Backing up OSP

Marc Zaldivar mzaldiva at exchange.vt.edu
Mon Jun 15 09:27:51 PDT 2009

All,

I wanted to see if we could open up this discussion, perhaps on this list or
on confluence/Jira too, about the state of the OSP archives.

We did manage to recoup from losing some stuff ‹ thankfully nothing too
vital, but caused by fairly innocent site mismanagement.  I can fill anyone
in on the details off list.

But what it really brought to my attention is that the Site Archive tool
does not handle OSP, and we have no effective back up of student portfolios,
populated matrices, etc.

Since I¹m relatively new to the community, I¹m interested in some back
story: has this been attempted?   What steps have been taken or are
currently underway?

What strategies are other universities using?

I¹ve taken some other precautions behind the scenes, such as switching the
permissions for deletion for ALL roles to be off by default.  We¹ve also put
in a deletion work-around that only lets site creators delete sites, which
helps us with OSP because we build 90% of those portfolio sites.

Finally, is there anything like a datamap or Entity Relational Diagram for
all of the OSP tables showing how stuff is related?  This seems like it¹d be
very helpful if thinking about any kind of manual restoration process.

Thanks for your help!

Marc