[Portfolio] Report Out > Sakai Teaching and Learning Group Update

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Tue Dec 8 10:33:24 PST 2009

Folks,

I wanted to take a moment to report out to the lists from the Teaching and
Learning group call from last week (sorry for the delay).

Last week Clay Fenlason, Sakai Product Manager, joined the Teaching and
Learning call to discuss the work that has been going on in the Learning
Capabilities Google spreadsheet and how this work has already started to
be used in Sakai 3 design efforts.  A good recap of this initial design
work as well as some reference materials can be found on Clay's blog at:
http://sakaipm.wordpress.com/ (see the Leading Design posting as well as
his most recent that followed the call).

Based on this discussion, the T&L group (which includes good
representation from the UX and OSP groups!) felt that the next step in
this process needs to be an effort to categorize the existing Learning
Capabilities (which number over 110 now) and look for gaps that we want to
fill in.  The exact process for how to best do this is unclear but will be
the topic of the next couple of calls.  List discussions on this are also
encouraged.  Tentatively, the group is contemplating holding a "virtual
meeting" of 1-2 days sometime in early January during which the
"categorization" would be worked on.

Finally, we would like to encourage the community to spend time over the
next 2-3 weeks looking at and contributing to the Learning Capabilities
spreadsheet (a link can be found at
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED).  Although if a capability
does not get documented at this point it DOES NOT mean that it won't be in
Sakai 3, by documenting them now we will have greater influence over the
initial design efforts.

Again, apologies for the delay in getting this reported out to the
community.

Josh

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron