[Portfolio] [DG: User Experience] [DG: Teaching & Learning] Leading Design

David Goodrum davidgoodrum at rocketmail.com
Tue Dec 1 07:13:17 PST 2009

Hi Amber,

I'm encouraged to hear that some of what you have found in your contextual inquiry is already hinted at in the Learning Capabilities spreadsheet.  It makes me more optimistic that these different kinds of efforts will dovetail and build on each other as the community pushes forward towards a deep understanding of how Sakai 3 needs to support teaching and learning.  Any of the themes and activity flows emerging in the spreadsheet would benefit from the kind of deeper understanding that comes from contextual inquiry. I'm anxiously looking forward to the sharing that Keli Amann in a recent message said would happen by the end of January. Recently, Janice Smith has added concepts to the spreadsheet that reflect work the Portfolio community has done. There were hints in the spreadsheet already about portfolio-like capabilities, but the spreadsheet is much improved by the thorough treatment of these ideas directly from the Portfolio community. I think the
 rewards for finding and maintaining these broad connections between various teaching and learning concepts will be a rich set of Sakai 3 services available anywhere in the system and not just tied to specific tools or views.

Regards - David Goodrum

Director, Academic and Faculty Services
Learning Technologies
Indiana University