[Portfolio] [DG: Teaching & Learning] Thoughts on a New Focus for the Sakai Teaching and Learning Group

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Thu Aug 20 06:58:19 PDT 2009

Luke,

I do very much agree that there is significant value in evolving things
through small iterative improvements.  If we look at what has improved in
Sakai from from 1.5 release to 2.6 I think there is good evidence that we,
as a community, have been doing this and doing it relatively effectively.
This is not to say that we cannot improve upon our current iterative
improvement processes, I think we can and should (and I think there are
groups starting to do so).

What I think we have not been doing a lot of is the longer-term visioning
that would provide a target or path for future development work.  I feel
that engaging in such efforts is strategically important as it will
provide a type of road map for how the product might evolve in ways that
will ensure it continues to support innovative approaches to teaching and
learning.

I love your idea of using articles/readings to stimulate new ideas.  The
Opening Up Education book would be a rich resource for such activities,
many thanks for sharing this chapter.  I've also thought that things like
the New Horizons Report would also be a good resource.  As I work on some
rough pages in Confluence I'll add a place where we can post such
resources.

Thanks, Josh

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron