[DG: Teaching & Learning] Behavior of "Save and Don't Release" in Assignments tool

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Fri Jul 11 11:15:30 PDT 2014

Hi Teaching and Learning (pedagogy),

One of the big bug fixes in Sakai 10 was the workflow for an Assignment
for which the Instructor is allowing the student to resubmit. If a
student submits an assignment, the instructor then allows for
resubmission but chooses "Save and Don't Release" instead of "Save and
Release" , the student is able to submit, but the instructor still sees
the original submission!  That was fixed [1].

But the remaining question is about the instructor feedback [2]. One
could argue either side of the issue. If the instructor chooses "Save
and Don't Release" both the grade and the instructor feedback should not
be released to the student, even if resubmission is allowed. Or, it
could be that the feedback to the student is for the purpose of helping
the student do a better job on the resubmission. If the student does not
receive the feedback, then no chance for incorporating instructor
suggestions.

On the Jira [2], Charles Hedrick neatly lays out the potential behaviors.

1) Current behavior. Unlike the markup in the student's submission,
which is different each time the student submits, this is intended as a
final assessment of the work, which should not be released until grade
is released. [current behavior.] Probably needs an additional note
explaining.
2) Comment is intended to be a comment on the current submission.
Student should see it, and it should be cleared when the student does a
new submission.
3) Comment is intended as a final assessment, but student should see it
when doing revisions. In this case the student should see the current
text, but it should not be cleared when the student does a new submission.

What do you think? The community does not change existing behavior
lightly, so we are just looking for feedback for now and then if it
seems that changing is the right thing to do, we would vet more broadly.

[1] Bug fix in Assignments resubmission -
[2] Remaining question on feedback -

Thanks and Happy Friday!
Neal

--