[DG: Teaching & Learning] MISI 2010: Next Steps

Steve Lonn slonn at umich.edu
Tue Feb 16 11:39:58 PST 2010

Greetings Sakai Colleagues!

Thank you again to all of you who were able to attend last weeks' conference calls. If you were not able to join or have remaining questions, I would be happy to speak with you over phone / video / VOIP. The conference call notes are available here: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/ehAQB

As a group, we will now begin the first major phase of our work together: formatting, voting, and deciding on the "core" survey items. However, before you really dig into these items, please complete these two tasks:

1. Institutional Review Board (IRB) / Human Subjects Panel Review
Please check with your institution's governing research body as to what is required for faculty/student surveys and publishing the aggregated results (anonymized) in scholarly venues (e.g., journals & conferences). While we certainly appreciate your contribution to the shared data pool regardless of your IRB status, an approval / exemption from your institution allows us to include your data in any papers published from this work. Note that some boards take a long time to process applications, to check into this ASAP!! You are also welcome to use Michigan's or Texas State's applications for IRB Exemption as examples (Thanks Salwa!) -- those documents are available on the Confluence page: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/UDAT/2010+MISI

2. Institution Informational Survey
We are asking one person from each institution to please fill out an informational survey about your planned survey, your institution, and your implementation of Sakai. This will help all of us compare institutions based on similar size, setting, use of Sakai, and other metrics. The survey is available here: https://lessons.ummu.umich.edu/2k/misi/info

After you complete the above tasks, then comes the central task for our next phase in the initiative:

3. Voting & Commenting on Suggested "Core" Survey Items
Please voice your opinion on the "core" survey items on this wiki page: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/exEQB  You should be able to edit the embedded Wikispaces pages as a guest and should not need a separate account, unless you want one.

Here's the general directions:
A. Voting
For each item (or set of items), type in your vote (+1 = in favor, -1 = not in favor, 0 = neutral) along with your name and institution. Example: -1 (Steve, Michigan).

B. Comments
If you have an opinion or suggestion about the wording for a particular item, please type your comments along with your name & institution. Note that based on the comments from institutions who are participating a second year in MISI, we are trying to keep the wording as similar as possible in order to compare 2009 & 2010 results. Dick from Delaware already has some really good comments on the wiki, so please follow his format. We will discuss the comments on our second round of conference calls in a couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone - please send Stephanie (steasley at umich.edu) or myself any questions, concerns, comments, etc. that you may have. We look forward to a positive and productive planning & data collection process with you all.

--Steve
Steven Lonn, Ph.D.  -  Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Usability, Support, and Evaluation (USE) Lab, Part of the CTools / Sakai Team
Digital Media Commons @ The Duderstadt Center, University of Michigan
Ph: (248) 905-1566	AIM: simchasl	Web: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~slonn/

P.S. - I am attaching a PDF of our upcoming symposium at the International Conference of the Learning Sciences in Chicago. The first paper of this symposium is based on the 2009 MISI data. The rest of the papers look at a combination of survey data, log data, and case studies from the University of Michigan's two campuses that have implemented Sakai. Please send me any comments you have about this work.