[DG: Teaching & Learning] Summary of Library and Sakai 3 integration discussion

Hollar, Susan shollar at umich.edu
Wed Mar 18 10:34:16 PDT 2009

Thank you to all who participated in the discussion of library integration with Sakai 3 on March 17.  We had excellent input from people at a wide range of institutions.  Participants shared their own work on integrating library resources and services with local Sakai implementations, as well as reviewed the Sakaibrary project.  This was followed by an open-ended discussion of desired library-related functionality in Sakai 3.  Several participants stated that users need to be able to capture content wherever they are and move it into Sakai. We also discussed effective ways to gather user input to inform the design process of library functionality for Sakai 3. Suggestions included the OSP roadmap model, user experience stories, and asking users what they've been unable to accomplish with Sakai in the past. (Previously collected usage scenarios are available at: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/SLIB/Usage+Scenarios+Collected+2009)   We also discussed the best mechanisms for communication. Suggestions included regularly-scheduled phone/video/Web conferences, identifying the appropriate email list (possibly sakai-user), and using library conferences (ALA, LITA, ACRL) as a meeting place.  To move this process forward, Jon and Susan will identify possible communication mechanisms and user input methods to inform the design process.  We will share these with the community for discussion.

Thanks again to all who participated in the discussion and we'll be back in touch soon.

Susan Hollar, University of Michigan (shollar at umich.edu)
Jon Dunn, Indiana University (jwd at indiana.edu)