[DG: Open Forum] [Building Sakai] New Email Address

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Fri Jun 14 09:41:43 PDT 2013

Let me know how that works for you.  I've changed my signature in protest.

John Bush
602-490-0470

** This message is not private or confidential in fact the US
government is storing it in a warehouse located in Utah for future
data mining use cases should they arise. **

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Mark J. Norton
<markjnorton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I made my statement directly to Google protesting an invasion of my privacy.
> I don't see changing email services will do much good at this point, but at
> least I can protect.  I sent an email msg to President Obama as well
> indicating that I do not like the very concept of Secret Law.
>
> - Mark
>

> On 6/13/2013 8:41 PM, David Adams wrote:
>
> Good for him for making a statement, but other than switching all
> communications over to Tor or something, there's really nothing practical
> that can be done to avoid being surveilled by the US government, or the UK
> government. University IT departments are not immune to such requests for
> data dumps either. And don't think you'll get confirmation that it's going
> on.
>

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Jim Eng <jimeng at umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>> All three emails responding to Adrian's so far were handled by Google, for
>> what it's worth.
>>
>> I take Adrian's stance to be a statement, rather than a personal solution
>> to the problem.  It would be nice to have solutions, but sometimes the best
>> we can do is make a statement.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:08 PM, David Adams <daveadams at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Has fastmail made some statement about its refusal to cooperate with such
>> data collection or has it just not been mentioned because it's not a big
>> player? In any case, most international Internet traffic is closely
>> monitored by the US government as well, it would seem. So while some of your
>> user metadata may be safer in fastmail, the contents of your email messages
>> are probably just as accessible to the same folks, for whatever it's worth.
>> And with this email they now know what fastmail address to correlate with
>> your Google account.
>>
>> Just sayin... :)
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Jim Eng <jimeng at umich.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>>

>>> On Jun 11, 2013, at 4:28 PM, Adrian Fish <adrian.r.fish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sakaiers,
>>>
>>> Just a quick note to say that I'm using a new email address,
>>> adrianfish at fastmail.fm, in addition to my Lancaster one. I'm closing all my
>>> Google related accounts due to their alleged pimping of user data to the US
>>> government.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian.