[DG: Open Forum] Music Notation Display and Entry

John Diehl jdiehl at umich.edu
Tue Dec 3 08:10:53 PST 2013

Alan,

Thank you for your response.  I have looked at Noteflight.  It is a
comprehensive application for music composition and arrangement.  While it
is an excellent product for composition, it is more for composers and
sharing of musical scores than for teaching entry level music reading
basics.  In a way, it is both too much and too little.  Perhaps an example
would help.

An example lesson would allow the instructor to require the student to
enter a series of major and minor 2nd, 3rd and 4th intervals.  These
intervals would be generated dynamically by the application.  The student
would enter the notes on a staff and be able to hear them played.  Ideally,
the instructor could specify whether inversions are used, accidentals are
required and a range of key signatures.  The student would be scored on
which intervals were entered correctly, and given feedback on errors.

The Music Theory Skill Builder, a Moodle based tutoring and assessment
module used at the Oxford School of Music, does much of this already.
Unfortunately, in my discussions with Oxford they have so far been unable
or unwilling to make it available as an LTI Producer.  Hence my search for
a Sakai based solution.