[DG: Open Forum] Music Notation Display and Entry

John Diehl jdiehl at umich.edu
Tue Dec 3 07:33:15 PST 2013

Sakai Community,

I am new to the Sakai community, and searching for components needed to
allow both display and student entry of basic music notation in lessons and
assessments.  I am working with the School of Music Theater and Dance at
the University of Michigan, where we hope to develop a remedial tutoring
system for entering freshmen.  The Sakai based examples I have seen at U of
M can only display screen capture images of music, with student responses
limited to clicking buttons for notes and other music notation elements.

I am looking for a Sakai module which provides some or all of the following:

   - Generating music on a staff based on teacher defined criteria; single
   notes, intervals, chords, scales.
   - Interactive student entry of notes on a staff; single notes,
   intervals, chords and scales.
   - Generating musical tones together with the notes either displayed or
   entered, as above.

I have found other learning management systems and third party products
which do all of this, and more.  Is anyone aware of such a module for
Sakai?

--
John R Diehl
Business Analyst