[DG: Open Forum] Jasig and Sakai Announce Name for Proposed Foundation and Membership Vote on Merger

Nathan Bailey nathan.bailey at monash.edu
Wed Mar 21 03:54:41 PDT 2012

So Apereo is a taste of things to come? :-)

On 21 March 2012 20:37, Jean-Francois Leveque
<jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr> wrote:
> While Sakai sounds like the colloquial French "ça caille", Apereo sounds
> like the colloquial French "apéro". What does it sound like in other
> languages?
>
> I wonder what merging the two words the other way to get "merto" would
> have sounded in other languages. In French, it would have been close to
> "marteau". A google search leads to family names and typos on metro.
>
> Choosing a name for international use can be hard, don't you think?
>
> Cheers for the Apereo Foundation! ;-)
>
> J-F
>
> On 20/03/2012 17:03, Josh Baron wrote:
>> NOTE: Attached are PDF versions of this announcement in English, Spanish
>> (Español) and French (Français) which also include the relevant hyperlinks.
>>
>> *Jasig and Sakai Announce Name for Proposed Foundation
>> and Membership Vote on Merger*
>>
>> Shortly after the 2011 EDUCAUSE Conference, Sakai and Jasig announced a
>> community naming process for the new, merged organization we proposed a
>> year before. We wanted suggestions for Foundation names that were
>> memorable and reflected the core values of the merged organization which
>> we previously articulated in the “ Value of a Common Foundation
>> <http://www.sakaiproject.org/sites/default/files/CommonFoundationValue1-1.pdf>
>> ”. In announcing the outcomes of this naming process today, it is
>> important to emphasize that the new organization will have a strong
>> focus on existing software communities and project brands. Names such as
>> Sakai and uPortal won’t go away, they will remain an essential element
>> of reaching constituents old and new.
>>
>> The Founding Board, which was elected by the Jasig and Sakai Foundation
>> Boards in October (2011)
>> <http://www.sakaiproject.org/news/jasig-and-sakai-foundations-finalize-merger-plans>
>> to take the lead on merger decisions, is excited to announce that the
>> name of the new organization we are proposing will be the *Apereo
>> Foundation *( listen to pronunciation
>> <https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZE-GJkLsdmRDNEVVlOQW5RY2FIUE93aWEzZDNKQQ/edit>
>> ). The name is a combination of community suggestions, and represents
>> the fusion of two Latin words, “ aperto
>> <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aperto> ”, which means “open” and “ mereo
>> <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mereo> ”, meaning merit. Given the
>> importance of openness and meritocracy, in all its forms and flavors, to
>> both organizations as well as the larger open-source movement, the
>> merging of these Latin words to form Apereo resonated with the Founding
>> Board. Combining the suggestions was also helpful in securing the domain
>> name.
>>
>> We will begin to use Apereo as the name of the proposed new organization
>> in our communication moving forward. However this is not intended to
>> indicate the merger is complete; nor assumed as, most importantly, a
>> majority vote by our collective membership is required to gain approval.
> [...]

Teaching with MS Powerpoint *and* inking = slides + whiteboard = best
of both worlds. Buy a tablet or a slate and teach with maximum
flexibility and impact! See
http://its.monash.edu/staff/procurement/hardware/tablet-order.html