[DG: Open Forum] kamenetz plenary address

Sean Keesler sean.keesler at threecanoes.com
Tue Jun 22 07:54:04 PDT 2010

I heard a call for higher ed to be more responsive to students' need
to take multiple "non-standard" paths through their higher education
experience and to be creative in ways that they assess student
learning while driving down costs. I struggle with the idea that
coordinating alternative paths/assessments for students is going to
lead to HIGHER transaction costs (at least in the short term) while
completely buying into the idea that students should have more freedom
in how they approach their own learning.

She spoke of allowing multiple entry points into higher education and
the allowance for students to use their experiences outside of the
traditional classroom to "count" for something. She showed cases where
students are sharing and collaborating on constructing new knowledge
with their peers using technology of their own design/selection
(occasionally with protest from faculty who think it is "cheating").
She also showed examples where students feedback from potential
employers and external experts and to showcase their abilities in a
semi-public/public forum.

To my biased eye, this all screamed of the diversity of uses and
benefits of eportfolios as tools for learning and assessment. Sakai
3's "lenses" has had a pretty strong voice from the portfolio group
and I think should be quite a platform for experimentation around
these innovative ideas.

Sean Keesler
130 Academy Street
Manlius, NY 13104