[DG: Open Forum] Favorite Markup Language

Nate Angell nate.angell at rsmart.com
Mon Apr 26 10:51:14 PDT 2010

I guess my (weakly humorous) point is that regardless of how one
authors or displays text, it might be best stored as something
standard and ubiquitous. Let tools help with input and output.

I don't know the right stack of tools (yet, tho I'm looking into it),
but seems like this must be well-traveled ground for people who do it
way more often than I.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Steven Githens <swgithen at mtu.edu> wrote:
> Sometimes I don't mind writing HTML for simple docs ( I used to use docbook,
> and that was way more painful ).  But I suppose HTML can mean a lot of
> things.  If you were going to roll a set of documentation with just HTML
> what stack of tools would you use?  I think the usage of even more than a
> couple HTML editors would mangle the documents with their own conventions.
> Usually, if you use Markdown or Restructured Text, in addition to the syntax
> it brings along the toolchain ( for example using Sphinx with Restructured
> Text ).  So I guess, it's a core markup plus a set of nice tools to make
> tables of contents and stuff too, although for this use case I was imagining
> a text editor being the authoring tool across the examples.
>
> -s
>

> Nate Angell wrote:
>>
>> I like this markup syntax called "HTML"...it's pretty widely used and
>> there are some tools out there to help you use it.
>>
>> --
>> Nate Angell
>> Client Evangelist
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Steven Githens <swgithen at mtu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just curious what you're favorite markup/wiki/formatting syntax is.
>>> Markdown? Creole? Restructured Text? LaTeX?  Something else?  The
>>> context here is mostly for writing instructions and technical
>>> documentation for open source software.
>>>
>>> I've been using Restructured Text for my personal projects, and am
>>> thinking about switching to Markdown or something similar.
>>>
>>> DISCUSS!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve