[DG: Open Forum] Favorite Markup Language

Steven Githens swgithen at mtu.edu
Mon Apr 26 10:42:21 PDT 2010

Sometimes I don't mind writing HTML for simple docs ( I used to use
docbook, and that was way more painful ).  But I suppose HTML can mean a
lot of things.  If you were going to roll a set of documentation with
just HTML what stack of tools would you use?  I think the usage of even
more than a couple HTML editors would mangle the documents with their
own conventions.

Usually, if you use Markdown or Restructured Text, in addition to the
syntax it brings along the toolchain ( for example using Sphinx with
Restructured Text ).  So I guess, it's a core markup plus a set of nice
tools to make tables of contents and stuff too, although for this use
case I was imagining a text editor being the authoring tool across the
examples.

-s