[WG: I18N & L10N] I18N support for Role name and Site type

Diego del Blanco Orobitg diego.delblanco.sakai at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 03:27:25 PDT 2014

Anyway... this mail thread takes to another (I think) failure in the Sakai
flexible design...

Sakai allows you to create all the site types you want and all the roles
you want, so it's a problem that in some places in code it's hardcoded the
"maintain" or the "course" word... forget i18n for a moment... what if I
don't want a "instructor" and I want a "teacher".  If I create a teacher
role with the same permissions than instructor, some small parts of the
code won't work fine...  a sample, don't know if now this is changed and
works, but the last time I tested this failed: I as instructor can change
to "View as a student" but if my role is "teacher" with exactly the same
permissions, I can't.   I think all the role dependant features should be
related to permissions and never to the role name (neither the internal
one).

The same as project or course... if I have a site.type called "r&d project"
where roles should be "researcher", etc...  Should I lose part of the
project advantages or tools only because the name is not "project"?

Again... In this case, surely we can manage things with site properties or
other way (please, not more awful xml files to configure tools allowed in
site types...), but never with the site type harcoded in code. I think this
create a lack of flexibility in Sakai.

So, IMO, roles names or site type names harcoded in code is a design
failure. We need to use permissions and other things to manage all these
questions.

This will make easier to  i18n role names and site type names too.

> Hi All,
>
> I create some tickets to share my work on localize role name.
>
> SAK-25889 is the main ticket.
> If you want to see the effect first, please refer SAK-25891 to see the
> screenshot.
>
> There's still some tools need to modified, messageforum for example.
> I'll share related works when I finish.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Gao Jun
> Fudan University
>
> 于 2014年03月19日 18:20, Jean-Francois Leveque 写道:
> > Hi Jun,
> >
> > You could check https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-12397 and
> > https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-22344 which might be the
> > latest on both i18n of role names and site type labels.
> >
> > I think lots of us here would like this to be solved.
> >
> > If the names/labels are internationalized, they could be updated from
> > database with https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18678 and
> > https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/rsmart/messagebundle/
> > (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18984).
> >
> > Do you mean altering names on a site basis?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Jean-François
> > UPMC, Paris
> >
> > On 19/03/2014 09:34, Gao Jun wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm now working on I18N support for Role name (instructor, student,
> >> maintain, etc.) and site type(course, project).
> >> Since many tools use these names with string stored in DB, so a lot of
> >> work need to be done.
> >>
> >> Up to now, I made I18N support for Role worked under site-manage and
> >> authz tool, and the todo list is still long.
> >>
> >> I wonder if anyone has tried work on this before or any JIRA issue
> >> already exists.
> >> If there is no JIRA issue on this, I'll create a new one.
> >>
> >> Here is my solution(Role name for example)
> >> Use a strategy like tool menu, which has default L10N message and user
> >> can alter it.
> >>
> >> Add a new properties file under folder config/localization
> >> Add a method getName to Role which use the way like get name of a tool.
> >> Modify the corresponding tools to add I18N support.
> >>
> >> Is anyone interested in this?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Gao Jun
> >> Fudan University

*Diego del Blanco Orobitg*
Spain & LATAM Regional Manager (*ANI Sakai*)
Apereo LATAM Representative (*Apereo Foundation*)

P: (+34) 653 683 489
E: ddelblanco at anisakai.com
Sk: ddelblanco.ani