[WG: I18N & L10N] Having a locale as default for others in the same language

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Fri Jul 11 02:10:14 PDT 2014

This is my opinion and the other contributors to the fr_FR locale are
getting this mail to be able to give more information and their opinion
if they want.

I've changed the title of this thread because it wasn't about es_MX anymore.

I welcome opinions of others that are actively providing translations.

I might be repeating myself, please forgive this way of explaining my
point of view from different angles.

I can understand that the default locale in Sakai is mostly the en_US
locale, even if parts of the code that have been written in other
English-speaking countries might be in those countries English locale.

French from Canada and France a really different, using one as default
for the other would, in my opinion, be a mistake. When there was only
fr_CA available in Sakai, my users were uncomfortable with it. I suppose
it would be the same the other way around if fr_FR becomes the default.
I would gladly create a shared fr locale if I had fr_CA owners who could
meet with the fr_FR team to agree on shared part of the translation, but
none are available AFAICT.

Let me give you another example of how bad having a locale of one
language used as the default for other locales of the same language.
Both zh_CN and zh_TW are Chinese locales but the Cross-Strait relations
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-Strait_relations) might not be good
enough to choose one instead of the other as default for both.

If one locale coverage is not good enough, the best solution might be to
make it unavailable in the default settings of Sakai instead of making
users believe their locale is covered and giving them what is mostly
another locale. Users from one locale will be knowingly be using a
locale different from theirs and be more forgiving, I think.

On 2014-05-29 8:29 GMT-07:00 Neal Caidin mentioned a "major regression
in that Mexican Spanish". https://crowdin.net/project/sakai-cle shows a
coverage of 32% for Spanish, Mexico. I think it's small enough to
deactivate it, "hide the es_MX translations" as Neal has written it. I
think copying es_ES to es or es_MX is a bad idea as the Spanish have
decided and I've written above for other locales. Matthew Jones did a
comparison with English, the issue with US English is quite different,
it's only mostly the default language.

A proof of default not being completely en_US is the default has
overrides in en_US
(./profile2/bundle/src/resources/ProfileApplication_en_US.properties,
./profile2/util/src/java/org/sakaiproject/profile2/util/messages_en_US.properties
and ./metaobj/metaobj-tool/tool/src/bundle/messages_en_US.properties)
and also in en
(./jsf/jsf-widgets/src/java/org/sakaiproject/jsf/bundle/pager_en.properties
and ./entitybroker/mocks/src/java/describe-prefix_en.properties) while
there are 3 en_ZA, 5 en_AU and 120 en_GB files.

If we set a standard on minimum coverage (or any other mean) before
making a locale available in the preferences, this doesn't hinder
integrating translations that don't have enough coverage (or other
parameter to a good enough value) and institutions that want to use
those locales can still do and decide whether they prefer English or a
different country's locale for their language as default when they've
not provided a translation. They could even integrate part of the other
locale translation in their locale if they think it's fine and give it
back to the community. I think not giving them the choice is a bad idea.

I hope think explains why I'm against making one locale the default of
others for the same language and how I think we should work this out.

Jean-Francois is managing the fr_FR translation with Frederic and Eric
and knows about nobody else managing the French translation of another
locale, even if we've had contributions from Canada and Pearson in the past.

Questions are also welcome.