[WG: I18N & L10N] Mexican Spanish issue

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Thu Jul 10 12:36:15 PDT 2014

Sorry for picking up an old-thread, but I'm still confused on this issue.
 It looks to me like we no longer have just FR translations, we have fr_FR
and fr_CA.  Example:

login/login-tool/tool/src/bundle/auth_fr_FR.properties
login/login-tool/tool/src/bundle/auth_fr_CA.properties

This approach seems totally wrong to me, but I'm not an i18n expert.  Why
is fr_FR not the default here so there is just an auth_fr.properties?

So if I want to create a single override for Belgium-French, then I would
just make one file with one line for fr_BE.  With the way it is setup now,
I would need to copy every single fr_FR into fr_BE!  Can someone explain?

--Sam

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Agreed,  there needs to be a base for all major languages that we
support.  I would like to know the reasons behind moving from es to es_ES,
 seems a backwards step in context of how locale resolution works.

> If they are kept in sync then fine but there needs to be a base to cater
for fallback.

> Cheers
> Steve
>
> sent from my mobile device
>
> On 30/05/2014 2:16 AM, "Matthew Jones" <matthew at longsight.com> wrote:
>>
>> I honestly would say that's this it's unacceptable to have no default es
language. What you're saying is the same as if the US community said that
we wanted to move all of the English translations from en to en_US and then
have no default fallback language at all in Sakai. That just doesn't make
any sense at all and it wouldn't happen. As it would break also break
people who are overriding Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and
UK.

>> It just isn't a good solution for the community.
>>
>> If you could somehow change how java does the fallback to go es_* ->
es_ES -> es then that sounds okay, but I don't know how to do that.

>> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Miguel Carro Pellicer <
miguel at educlever.es> wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> All the spanish community voted to move from "es" to "es_ES" in order
to avoid conflicts and maintain locales separately, that's why we have done
the changes.

>>> Miguel.
>>>
>>> El 29/05/2014 17:49, Matthew Jones escribió:
>>>
>>> Right, the java locale fallback would be to go
>>>
>>> es_MX -> es -> en
>>>
>>> So without an es the text is just appearing in English. I'd personally
be happy with either keeping es_ES in sync or just making your files from
es_ES the default as es and not having an es_ES variation. You could still
select es_ES from the translation menu in preferences but it would just
immediately fallback to es. That would eliminate having to do changes twice
at least. Whatever you decide though.

>>> I think it would be good just in-case other Spanish countries like
es_CO, es_PR or es_AR, etc decide they also want to support a language with
only slight variations, for instance. :)

diego.delblanco.sakai at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
ago), when there is not "es_MX" it uses the default (that is english) . I
think before that "es_MX" searched for "es" when there is not "es_MX" file
(please, if I'm wrong someone can correct me).

"es" and have it as basis for all the spanish translations. better than mix
es_ES with es_MX becuase if we do that, México people won't know what is
missing or not to translate

to do changes twice... or always duplicate files when we change in
"es_ES"...

>>> --
>>>
>>> Miguel Carro Pellicer
>>> IT Consultant - Elearning solutions
>>>
>>> Phone: +34 - 686266485
>>> Email: miguel at educlever.es
>>>
>>> No me imprimas si no es necesario. Protejamos el medio ambiente
>>>

>>> AVISO LEGAL: El contenido de este mensaje de correo electrónico,
incluidos los ficheros adjuntos, es confidencial y está protegido por el
artículo 18.3 de la Constitución Española, que garantiza el secreto de las
comunicaciones.
>>> Si usted recibe este mensaje por error, por favor póngase en contacto
con el remitente para informarle de este hecho, y no difunda su contenido
ni haga copias.
>>> *** Este mensaje ha sido verificado con herramientas de eliminación de
virus y contenido malicioso ***