[WG: I18N & L10N] Discussion on the fromat of properties file

Gao Jun gaojun at fudan.edu.cn
Wed Sep 11 01:22:59 PDT 2013

Dear All,

During my traslation work, I found the format of properties file is not
friendly enough for the translator.

Translator for Sakai from various country and use various tool. With
these tools, the keys of properties file may be ordered or maybe not.
Some tools use upper cases(A-F) in unicode and some use lower
cases(a-f). If two or more translators are working on the same
properties file, conflicts are inevitable.

I made a toy program to handle these conflicts, but I think it's not a
good idea.

What about unify the format of the properties file, say order the key by
alphabet or by the order of default properties. I think the latter would
be friendly to the translator, and even more, the comment in the default
properties can make sence in the local properties.

I know there is a lot of work to do to achieve this goal. Maybe we can
try this from some locale?

--
GAO Jun
Fudan University