[WG: I18N & L10N] Internationalization Workgroup

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Thu Mar 7 03:27:50 PST 2013

Hi Shoji,

On 06/03/2013 13:35, Shoji Kajita wrote:
> Hi Jean-Francois,
>
> At Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:22:23 +0100,
> Jean-Francois Leveque wrote:
>> Yesterday I've submitted for 2013 Apereo conference both a Sakai CLE
>> i18n presentation and an Apereo i18n BoF. I know how to reach CLE and
>> OAE people involved in i18n. I already have a few contacts with other
>> people involved in Apereo i18n, but help is welcome.
>
> Benn Oshrin and I have proposed the following session for Apereio I18n:
>
> "Looking Back and Looking Forward: Twenty Years of
> Internationalization of Apereo Projects"
>
> This panel session will envision the future of internationalization
> (I18n) of the Apereo Projects, in the context of the work accomplished
> over the last decade as Jasig and Sakai. To date, I18n activities have
> not been well coordinated across the Jasig and Sakai projects, and as
> a result it is harder for each project to leverage the best practices
> developed by the others.  The merger of the Jasig and Sakai
> communities provides an opportunity to consolidate I18n resources and
> best practices into a common community of practice for cost-effective
> activities that promote the international adoption of Apereo
> software. This panel will invite representatives from various Jasig
> and Sakai projects to discuss the current state of I18n, and what
> needs to be done to construct a common I18n foundation for the Apereo
> Community.
>
> I definitely believe that we should ask you to join the panelist as the representative of Sakai CLE I18n.
>
> Or should we discuss to consolidate our proposals into one or two?
>
> Please let me know,
> よろしくお願いします.
> Shoji

I would gladly participate as a panelist.

My purpose when submitting a BoF was to get people to discuss, share and
find ways we could work together in a relaxed manner.

My personal experience is that panel session are somehow intimidating.

I think the BoF could be useful if it happens after the panel.

I'm ready to discuss this with you, Benn and other representatives or
key people from other projects in the Apereo community.

We still have time before the conference to get members of the Apereo
community that are involved in i18n to start discussing how we could
work together.

Maybe starting an Apereo i18n mailing list would help.

Cheers,
J-F