[WG: I18N & L10N] How long does it take to translate Sakai CLE

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 04:30:00 PDT 2013

I wrote a little utility that automatically translates a properties file
into various languages.

https://github.com/steveswinsburg/auto-i18n

It's been neglected for a while and I think the API it uses has been
deprecated (oops) but it could easily be cleaned up. This would give a
legup to anyone starting on translations. I realise that no amount of
automation can replace a native speaker, but at least you don't need to
start from zero.

I am surprised it takes 6 months of time. That signals to me that we need a
far better i18n strategy. Centralised properties files, reducing the number
of duplicates, whatever it takes. A few months of code to save hundreds of
thousands of dollars/euros/pounds/yen is a wise investment IMO.

cheers,
Steve