[WG: I18N & L10N] The Properties Comparator

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Wed Jan 25 04:50:37 PST 2012

Hi everybody.

Last year we asked our grant, Eder Unzué, to make a web tool for
comparing two given properties files, choosing the right property in
each case and generating a new file with all them.

This program was intended to partially solve the huge effort needed to
work with properties files, when a migration is done from an old Sakai
version to a new one. This is specially hard when working with a
language different of english, something we locally refer to as "The
Properties Living Hell". ;-)

The tool is here: http://csie-server.unavarra.es:8080/TPC/

This tool just receives two properties files, shows an editable form
with all the found differences and allows to download a new file with
the modifications.

All the non-ASCII characters are transformed from/to Unicode (ej: ñ ->
\u00F1) before comparing them, but if the source files has non-ASCII
characters, the used encoding (UTF-8, ISO-8859-15, SHIFT_JIS, etc) must
be specified. The downloaded file will have Unicode codes instead of
non-ASCII characters.

If you want more details, a little help page is available in spanish and
english.

This project is still a Beta version, but I think that could be useful
for you and I would like to have your feedback in case you find it
useful. It has GPL license and we will publish it in a near future, when
is more mature.

Please, feel free to send me any suggestion or failure you find.

Thanks and best regards.
--
Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.