[WG: I18N & L10N] How to i18n sakai tools

高珺 gaojun at fudan.edu.cn
Wed Jan 4 05:39:13 PST 2012

Hi David,

     Well, in Fudan University, we have tried a lot to translate Sakai
to Chinese. The most annoying i18n issues are roles' names and email.

     As you know, after the initial audo-ddl, some roles like
Instructor, Teaching Assistent, Student, Maintain, Access would be
created automatically. And these strings would be shown in the Site Info
tool and the privilege page of many other tools. These role names are
stored in database, and can not be shown in other languages.
     I think it's better to add some properties to a shared properties
file to solve this issue.

For example:
role.instructor=Instructor
role.teaching_assistent=Teaching Assistent
role.student=Student

     When role name is displayed on a page, Sakai may first find it in
the properties file for key role.ROLE_NAME("all to lower case and
replace "space" by "_" for comptibility, like "role.teaching_assistent"
for "Teaching Assistent"), if the key in missing, then show the role
name in the database (for customized role).
     I once planned to do these things in our code this winter, but it
would be much better if the i18n team could give a guide line or a
principle of where to put the properties file and how the tools read them.

     And next is the email. Sakai is combined by many tools, and the
tools were contributed by many people. The methods to send emails are
different from each other,  and unfortunately many tools didn't put i18n
in their consideration. When an email is sent in non-latin language, it
would be unreadable. We have to disable the email function in our
school. The Email Template Service is a good start, but it's not enough
yet. Is there any plan or roadmap to make all the tools be sent email by
Email Template Service?