[WG: I18N & L10N] Feedback about some feature we are willing to contribute

DAVID ROLDAN MARTINEZ darolmar at upvnet.upv.es
Thu May 5 04:38:07 PDT 2011

Dear all,

As you know S2U group is working very hard in the improvement of Sakai mainly in i18n but also in other areas. We are going to start the developing process of the feature requests listed below and we would like to get your feedback as users, developers, tool/project leaders, etc. Of course, our intention is to contribute patches to the community and will appreciate support to see this patches included in next Sakai releases. Our planning is to have them ready by September/October as we want to put them in our production environments as soon as possible.

If anybody is interested in testing or just in being up-to-date about our work, please, let me know.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20552, "Grading all section members once"
To be able to grade all section members without the need of selecting them one by one. The process can be the following:
1) The instructor clicks at "Grade Section" (which needs be added to the current options: Edit, Duplicate, Grade).
2) The screen will be divided in two areas:
        2.1. Student submissions area: it will show student submissions and a text area to be able to send particular comments to each students of the section.
        2..2 Common area: instructor will be allowed to enter the same comments and grade that will arrive to all students in the section.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20554, "Assignment section filter in grade report"
Assignment section filter in grade report.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20555, "New assignment type: audio recording"
Our instructors demand a new type of assignment, audio recording, in the same way Samigo (Test&Quizzes) provides.
Student will be display an applet to record him/her audio answer and instructor will be able to hear the audio answer and also to download the audio files in the submissions zip.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20556, "Assignments Zip Export doesn't preserve UTF8 names"
The download all functionality doesn't preserve the display of names with utf8 characters.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAM-1197, "Multiple choice, multiple answer with penalty"
Currently, each correct answer adds points and each wrong answer discount points. Thus, if you create a new question with three possible answers but only two of them being correct, if the students marks the three he/she will get 2/3 of the total points when, probably, he/she should be assigned zero points. Then our instructors have requested us to choose between:
- If you need to mark all correct answer to get points in the question, otherwise you'll get a zero or the discount set up by the instructor.
- Each correct answer gives you points but wrong answer has a porportional penalty, i.e, if the whole penatly is 0.5 and the student marks only 2/3 correct answers, then he/she will get 0.5 * 1/3 = 0.16 as discount.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20558, "Sending the same feedback comment to a set of users"
In the same way that you can select user to select users and allow resubmission to a reduced set of users, our instructors have requested to be able to send the same feedback comment to a set of users, independently if they are in same section or not.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20559, "Searching using wildcards"
Sakai offers several tools where user can enter a text and ask for a search of users, sites, sections and so on. It would be useful to be able to use wildcards in this searches. For example, if you enter "Discussion % SMPL101", you'll get:
Discussion 1 SMPL101
Discussion 2 SMPL101
Discussion 3 SMPL101
Discussion 4 SMPL101
Or, if an i18n environment you write %iménez, you'll get Jiménez and Giménez (in Spanish both forms are correct).

Sorry for cross-posting and thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,

Dr. David Roldán Martínez
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
Sakai QA lead for Internationalization
[cid:image005.jpg at 01CC0B29.AB10EE80]

[cid:image006.jpg at 01CC0B29.AB10EE80]