[WG: I18N & L10N] SAK-19758: Job Scheduler internationalization?

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Fri Jan 7 14:38:30 PST 2011

I am reviewing tickets and code commits as I merge fixes to 2.8.x.  Reviewing SAK-19758, "Job Scheduler Internationalization" I find that a number of *.jsp files had their loadBundle tag (f:loadBundle basename="org.sakaiproject.tool.scheduler.bundle.Messages" var="msgs"/>) excised in favor of loading message bundles via org.sakaiproject.util.ResourceLoader.

No objections to utilizing the ResourceLoader but it seems that this change was made in order to translate the ALT text of a "Powered by Quartz" image resident in a number of *.jsp files.

<h:graphicImage value="/images/quartz.jpg" alt="Powered By Quartz"/>

<h:graphicImage value="/images/quartz.jpg" alt="#{msgs.powered_by} Quartz"/>

Sixteen files were touched to effect this change.  I am not sure how a change like this improves the i18n experience or whether the benefits gained outweigh the costs of implementing and shepherding such a change through our development process.

/ Anthony