[WG: I18N & L10N] Managing copyright types at Sakai (SAK-17692 and SAK-16892)

DAVID ROLDAN MARTINEZ darolmar at upvnet.upv.es
Sun Feb 6 09:47:40 PST 2011

        Hi all,

        After discussing this in detail and having to unify the different contributions to this issue, my proposal to manage copyright types and thus get a fix to SAK-17692 and SAK-16892 is the following.

        As it has been stated, setting up all the text in sakai.properties is not a good idea because, depending on the country, this could lead to the inclussion of too much string in this file. However, some configuration will be needed. These parameter will be:

# Directory where copyright detailed descriptions will be stored (this is similar to what we do for skins repository)
copyright.directory = /library/copyright
# Copyright types available in each installation
copyright.types.count = 6
copyright.types.1 = public_domain
copyright.types.2 = hold_copyright
copyright.types.3 = have_permission
copyright.types.4 = not_determined
copyright.types.5 = use_below
copyright.types.6 = fair_use

        Then, in copyright.directory has to exist two set of files:
a) Files named  copyright.types_XX.properties containing copyright types descriptions. For example:
In English copyright.types.properties

public_domain=Material is in public domain.
hold_copyright=I hold copyright.
have_permission=I have obtained permission to use this material.
not_determined=Copyright status is not yet determined.
use_below=Use copyright below.
fair_use =Material is subject to fair use exception.

In Spanish: copyright.types_es.properties

public_domain=El material es de dominio público.
hold_copyright=Yo tengo el copyright.
have_permission=Tengo permiso para utilizar este material.
not_determined=Copyright sin determinar
use_below=Utilice el siguiente copyright.
fair_use = El material es fair use exception.

b) Optionally, files named copyright.types_XX.html, explaning license details.
public_domain_fr.html
public_domain_ca.html
public_domain_es.html
etc.

        S2U group can work into this but before to develop a patch we would like to know if you agree with this solution and get your feedback before to continue dthe development process.

        Thank you very much in advance.

          Cheers,
                David