[WG: I18N & L10N] i18n open issues fixing process

DAVID ROLDAN MARTINEZ darolmar at upvnet.upv.es
Tue Nov 16 23:54:03 PST 2010

                Dear all,

                As you may know, from Spanish Sakai Universities (S2U) group we are working very hard to internationalize Sakai and our challenge is to have almost all open issues fixed for the following Sakai releases.

                Our next step is to classify Sakai tools depending in their i18n compliance in one of the following categories:

·         Fully internationalized ([cid:image001.gif at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]): complete Support for i18n. These tools only can have i18n tickets of type Task or Feature Request pending at JIRA. These tools can be in production at environments where i18n is a critical factor.

·         Partially internationalized ([cid:image002.png at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]): they don't suffer from severe problems in production but they use are not recommended in environment where i18n is a critical factor. At JIRA, these tools cannot have critical or blocker bugs opened.

·         Not internationalized ([cid:image003.png at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]): please, don't put in production these tools if i18n is critical for you. They don't work in multilingual environments and has blocker and/or critical bugs opened.

To summarize this information, we will maintain an i18n support table that will be updated for each Sakai release and publish it at Confluence ().

Tool

Sakai a.b.x

Sakai a.b.y

Tool 1

[cid:image001.gif at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]

[cid:image001.gif at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]

Tool 2

[cid:image002.png at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]

[cid:image001.gif at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]

Tool 3

[cid:image003.png at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]

[cid:image002.png at 01CB8401.2D6664B0]

                As a starting point, we will classify all the tools that can be included using site-admin tool. In parallel, we are going to study how to fix i18n pending issues. As you can imagine, all these tasks are very time & resources consuming and we would like to be sure that it will be worth to be invested. I hope (and know) that we have the proper support from tool leaders. I also would like to get volunteers from working with us and, of course, community feedback.

                Thank you very much in advance.

                All yours,

Dr. David Roldán Martínez
Sakai QA lead for Internationalization
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain

[cid:image008.png at 01CB85E6.6DFE0F50]

[cid:image009.png at 01CB85E6.6DFE0F50]