[WG: I18N & L10N] Problem with i18n in Citations Helper

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Wed Nov 10 06:43:32 PST 2010

Hi David,

It appears that Google is blocking anything except ascii characters in the labels for the links to import citations into Sakai.  That includes non-ascii unicode characters and ampersand-secaped characters, as near as I can tell.  I want to do another test next week to get better verification of that (or better yet, to find a way to accomplish this).  Here are the test cases I had hoped might work:

test2.umich.edu | 돳쯁켊
test4.umich.edu | T&S ñalå
test5.umich.edu | Ūnĭcōde̽
test6.umich.edu | უნიკოდი
test7.umich.edu | يونِكود

When we use those keys, Google leaves out the "Import into Sakai" link entirely.

If anyone has any suggestions about how we might sneak non-ascii characters through the checks Google is doing, I'd be glad to hear them.  Otherwise I will report back in about a week about my further testing.

To put this in context, nobody has asked yet for us to include a label in a language that requires non-ascii characters.  I am trying to figure this out so we will know how to do it when that happens.  If we can't find a way to do that, we may need to require that this be ascii only.

Thanks.

Jim