[WG: I18N & L10N] Suspected bad i18n behavior of portal

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Fri Jan 22 06:58:09 PST 2010

Hi all,

I've found that portal uses Sakai configuration properties to hide
internationalized strings and to provide strings that otherwise would
not be available at all.

I think this is bad.

If you're giving your users access to more than one locale, I think you
should not use configuration properties for this because they have only
one possible value.

If you're giving your users access to only one locale, I think you
should update the locale you're using instead of adding a new property
to your configuration.

login.text hides log.login
xlogin.text is not internationalized
logout.text hides sit_log

I'm sending this before creating the issue in JIRA.

Are there reasons I don't know for not considering this a bug to fix?

Cheers,

Jean-Francois Leveque