[WG: I18N & L10N] RSF and i18n documentation

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Wed Dec 1 05:40:14 PST 2010

Hi

David Horwitz a écrit :
> Hi
>
> On 12/01/2010 03:04 PM, Jean-Francois Leveque wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looks like we don't have much information about RSF and i18n on the i18n
>> best practices page
>> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/I18N/Best+Practices+for+Internationalized+Tools+in+Sakai#BestPracticesforInternationalizedToolsinSakai-RSFbasedtools
>>
>> Looks like the official RSF i18n information is not
>> http://www2.caret.cam.ac.uk/rsfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=I18N anymore but is
>> now http://rsf.fluidproject.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=I18N.
>>
>> What does MessageLocator do compared to the Sakai official
>> ResourceLoader class?
>>

> The message locator and the resource loader are fairly similar. However
> in an RSF tool these days the messagelocator is rererly used directly -
> one abstracts it using UIMessage or the template localization

Do you confirm RSF i18n does not have an i18n debug mode like
ResourceLoader has? Do you confirm adding a en_US_DEBUG properties file
would make it work like ResourceLoader does when the locale is set to
en_US_DEBUG?

>> What does TargettedMessage do compared to Sakai ResourceLoader's
>> getFormattedMessage()?
>>

> These are quite different things. The target message is specifically for
> warning/confirmation messages that would be displayed to the user
> (velocity has a similar concept whose name escapes me)

Do you mean RSF does not have the feature ResourceLoader has with
getFormattedMessage()?