[WG: I18N & L10N] RSF and i18n documentation

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Wed Dec 1 05:34:15 PST 2010

Hi

On 12/01/2010 03:04 PM, Jean-Francois Leveque wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looks like we don't have much information about RSF and i18n on the i18n
> best practices page
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/I18N/Best+Practices+for+Internationalized+Tools+in+Sakai#BestPracticesforInternationalizedToolsinSakai-RSFbasedtools
>
> Looks like the official RSF i18n information is not
> http://www2.caret.cam.ac.uk/rsfwiki/Wiki.jsp?page=I18N anymore but is
> now http://rsf.fluidproject.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=I18N.
>
> What does MessageLocator do compared to the Sakai official
> ResourceLoader class?

The message locator and the resource loader are fairly similar. However
in an RSF tool these days the messagelocator is rererly used directly -
one abstracts it using UIMessage or the template localization

> What does TargettedMessage do compared to Sakai ResourceLoader's
> getFormattedMessage()?

These are quite different things. The target message is specifically for
warning/confirmation messages that would be displayed to the user
(velocity has a similar concept whose name escapes me)