[WG: I18N & L10N] Dynamic localization via database backend for 2.8

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Tue Aug 24 12:44:39 PDT 2010

right we started talking about that a little, it would be nice to
start working on some requirements that work for the various
javascript tools and get this done early so we don't have a bunch of
broken stuff or refactoring work.  The first one I was looking at was
the new roster tool.  It has a bunch of javascript files that declare
the translations like this:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/roster/branches/trimpath_work/roster-app/src/webapp/roster-translations.js

I was thinking we need some sort of registration service to get the
bundle data in, and then some servlet piece that build up the
javascript with the bundle data so it can be included on the client
side.

How does GWT do it ?  Would this sort of thing work ?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Thomas Amsler <tpamsler at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> Great Work!!
> I wonder how we can leverage this in GWT based tools such as Gradebook2. We
> may have to come up with a solution for JavaScript centric tools.
> -- Thomas
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM, John Bush <john.bush at rsmart.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is for the work in.
>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18678
>>
>> The kernel changes are in a branch, and the front end tool is in
>> contrib.  I made 2 screencasts to show/talk about it more.
>>
>> I'd like to get both of these things in 2.8.   Technically, the front
>> end could live in contrib if need be, but the whole thing is a lot
>> more useful with the front end tool there.
>>
>> front end - http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18984
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PZDpmd0yAM
>>
>> back end - http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-563
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZPAPFv9A4c
>>
>> I've deployed this stuff to a test server, if you want to touch/play
>> with it, you can do that here.   http://72.44.205.11:8080
>>
>> --
>> John Bush
>> 602-490-0470