[WG: I18N & L10N] i18n strings duplicated across projects

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Wed Sep 9 06:38:12 PDT 2009

Jean-Francois,

    I would call this more of a bug fix than a project that needs to
go through incubation. Ideally, it would just update the the
ResourceLoader class (in the kernel) and also move the redundant
properties to one common properties file. I have commit rights for
changes to the properties files, if the individual project teams don't
have the resources and/or time to make the changes. You might want to
take a look at SAK-12351 which has some ideas. Perhaps the simplest
fix would be something like this:

// ResourceLoader.getString() pseudo-code

if (requested property file has key/value)
    return value;
else if (common property file has key/value)
    return value;
else
    return property key not found error;

    The sakai/config/localization directory provides us a common
location for a global properties file, that is accessible to all
projects (Thanks Anthony!), so this shouldn't be that difficult of a
task.

Thanks!
- Beth