[WG: I18N & L10N] [Building Sakai] i18n BOF - stockholm

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Thu May 7 23:31:07 PDT 2009

Hi Ian,

That's great to hear (the "editable at runtime"). The best-case scenario for people doing customization to local deployments is to see something in a tool that you want changed, login as admin or whatever, find the UI string, edit it through the web UI and save and it updates immediately on all app servers, which sounds like it's achievable.

Second plus for developers would be if you could tweak the UI strings while running live for an app the same way, then do something that wrote them out to the default properties file or whatever to update the source code.

I'm sure if everyone added up the hours that have been spent tweaking properties files for 2.x through the edit / build / deploy / test cycle, it would come to a truly impressive number.

Cheers
Stephen

Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
Email/IM/XMPP: stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290

>>> Ian Boston <ian at caret.cam.ac.uk> 2009/05/08 01:43 AM >>>

AFAIK, there will be almost no strings compiled into Sakai3/K2 code.
i18n and i10n files that are part of the UI will be stored on disk as
files served by a http server (ie apache httpd) or in the JCR repo
itself.
In addition the intention is to store all configuration settings other
than instance settings in the jcr making them cluster wide and
editable at runtime. Thats the intention.
Ian