[gradebook2-dev] Changing Pass/Fail Grade Scale Letter

Schauer, Christopher R cschauer at txstate.edu
Fri Feb 14 16:16:00 PST 2014

Hi gb2-dev,

I am trying to change the letter for Pass from 'E' to 'CR' in the Pass/Fail grade scale in gradebook2. I've changed the value in the gradebook-service's components.xml in edu-services, which updates the value in GB_GRADING_SCALE_PERCENTS_T. However, any existing gradebooks are getting the percent mapping from existing entries in GB_GRADE_TO_PERCENT_MAPPING_T which still contain the old letter grade. This breaks any existing Pass / Fail grade books because there is no percent mapping for the new letter grade ('CR'). It looks like it defaults to 0 and everyone is given 'CR' as a course grade.

Existing gradebooks work properly after running this query:

update GB_GRADE_TO_PERCENT_MAPPING_T gtpm
join GB_GRADE_MAP_T gm on gtpm.GRADE_MAP_ID = gm.ID
join GB_GRADING_SCALE_T gs on gm.GB_GRADING_SCALE_T = gs.id
set gtpm.LETTER_GRADE = 'CR' where gtpm.LETTER_GRADE = 'E' and gs.SCALE_UID = 'PassNotPassMapping'

Is this a bug in gb2 or is there an additional step I need to take to get the letter grade changed in gb2?

Thanks,
Chris