[gradebook2-dev] GRBK-1209

Thomas Amsler tpamsler at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 9 21:53:35 PST 2012

This looks good, but I have a couple of questions:

1. For the three added dependencies, I think we have to declare the
scope to "provided" instead of using the default "compile" scope:

e.g.

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.sakaiproject.common</groupId>
    <artifactId>archive-impl</artifactId>
    <version>${sakai.common.version}</version>
    <scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

If the scope is not set to "provided" then it deploys the JARs in the war.

e.g.

# jar -tf sakai-gradebook2.war | grep archive
WEB-INF/lib/archive-impl-1.2-SNAPSHOT.jar

2. I don't quite understand the "<optional>true</optional>" usage and
if it's needed:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.sakaiproject.kernel</groupId>
    <artifactId>sakai-kernel-impl</artifactId>
    <version>${sakai.kernel.version}</version>
    <optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

I tried to related what's described here:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-optional-and-excludes-dependencies.html

... to what we need and don't quite understand it. Maybe you can
explain that to me tomorrow.

Best,
-- Thomas