[gradebook2-dev] submit file grades, writing to response

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Wed Mar 16 10:17:00 PDT 2011

We were attempting to cause a file download to occur when clicking the
submit final grade option by implementing submitFinalGrade() in an
InstitutionalAdvisor.  It appears GWT does not like writing to the response
or redirecting.  Error attached.  Googling around I can see this is a common
problem.

So my question is how to deal with this without having to modify the gb2
tool.  My first idea is to simply write the file into CHS set the
appropriate permissions, and just train instructors on where the export file
goes.  I welcome other ideas if you guys have any.

java.lang.
IllegalStateException
    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade.sendError(ResponseFacade.java:419)
    at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponseWrapper.sendError(HttpServletResponseWrapper.java:118)
    at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponseWrapper.sendError(HttpServletResponseWrapper.java:118)
    at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent$Writer.finish(WebComponent.java:254)
    at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.ContainerResponse.write(ContainerResponse.java:237)
    at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1029)
    at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:941)
    at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:932)
    at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.service(WebComponent.java:384)
    at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:451)
    at
org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.server.RestServlet.service(RestServlet.java:50)
    at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:632)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
    at
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.ServletWrappingController.handleRequestInternal(ServletWrappingController.java:174)
    at
org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.server.ServletWrappingController.handleRequestInternal(ServletWrappingController.java:132)
    at
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.AbstractController.handleRequest(AbstractController.java:153)

--
John Bush
602-490-0470