[gradebook2-dev] Using gradebook2 outside

Thomas Amsler tpamsler at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 30 09:44:55 PDT 2011

Please see inline comments bellow:

I think we should be able to create a component service and
add GradebookToolService and Gradebook2ComponentService to it.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:53 AM, John Bush <john.bush at rsmart.com> wrote:

> ug, I have the same need.  We need to run through all the sites in a term
> and export final grades, I thought I was going to be able to write a quartz
> job to do that, but realizing what you just said that won't be possible will
> it.  The name Gradebook2ComponentServiceImpl threw me cause its not a
> component or a service in the normal sakai sense anyway.

We are not doing a good job in naming/packaging things. As you guys have
figured out, some of the names are misleading and don't make much sense.

I think that we can create a "real Sakai" component service by exposing the
GradebookToolService and Gradebook2ComponentService APIs. We also need to
rename/refactor things so that they make sense w.r.t. [DAO, Service,
internal, external, client, server]

> Exposing this in a component module might take some refactoring, there are
> a bunch of org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.client packages in there, it
> doesn't look like a clean separation to me.

The above is one of the maning issues. For example the interfaces in:

org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.client.model.*

should just be called:

org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.model

.. because there is a server and client specific implementation. The same is
true for:

org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.client.exceptions.*

It would take same refactoring but I think this is a real need so that folks
can leverage existing gradebook2 services.

Comments?

-- Thomas